Writing about Movies, TV, Comics & Toys. Critically and creatively.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Scream 4, my thoughts

It was an experience that I was so excited about that I could not keep my mouth shut until the movie started.

I know I won't feel an experience remotely similar to this again until the last Harry Potter movie comes out, and even then THAT experience will be different than how I felt yesterday.

I was a late comer to the Scream franchise, but that doesn't diminish my love for the characters, the stories, and Ghostface. If I had to make a list of my favorite Franchises (horror or in general) Scream would be on the list.

Watching this movie was like getting to catch up with old friends, friends that you were really really close to. Thats the best way I can put into words how this was for me.

The script was, in Kev Williamson style, SMART. It said a lot about horror and the state the genre is in at this point. It's a great commentary on where we are. I wanted to squeal like a girl each time one of the original three characters popped up on screen, and THAT is how you know you've crafted a great series, when people are worried about characters and get excited to see them.

I think in terms of the entire series it is my favorite of the sequels, only beating Scream 2 because I didn't like seeing Jamie Kennedy get killed off.

Because if there is anything that we learned from Scream 4 it's that the original is 9 times out of 10 better than what comes after it (in horror at least).

No comments:

Post a Comment