Writing about Movies, TV, Comics & Toys. Critically and creatively.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Horror on Television

I'm a HUGE fan of television, and by television I mean TV serials (shows that you have to watch each episode to understand what's going on). I love shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire, Sons of Anarchy, I could literally go on for an entire post (or perhaps an entire blog in the future?) about shows I love. But this leads me to my point for today, Horror doesn't have a big enough impression on television today.

Sure we have shows like Dexter, True Blood, and the recent edition of The Walking Dead, but that's only 3 shows out of everything that is on television at the moment. There are limited series that were either planned to be one season (Dead Set) or that just ended up being one season because some network thought it would be a good idea to put it on during the summer when no one is watching TV (Happy Town, Harper's Island, Fear Itself).

Growing up we had the horror anthologies like Tales from the Crypt and Are you Afraid of the Dark, what happened to this format of horror television?

Horror television needs to make a comeback, anthology shows were a huge success, we need more things like The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Goosebumps, Are you Afraid of the Dark in our life, just something to help us take our mind off of our lives and entertain us each week.

We also need more horror serials, more stuff about serial killers or ghosts or something else horrific, there's not enough on our television that can scare us.

Sure I've got ideas, but I'm still a few years away from being able to successfully pitch a show to a channel, but you have my guarantee one day I will and I'll bring the horror back into your living room.

2 comments: