Writing about Movies, TV, Comics & Toys. Critically and creatively.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Movie #16 Urban Legend





I really enjoyed Urban Legend, I'm surprised its taken me this long to see it because it probably would have been one of my favorites when I was a teenager.

If you don't know, the movie is about a serial (slasher) killer that kills people themed around urban legends, sounds pretty neat and it is.

I felt like the best thing about the movie is the script, Jared Leto, and the kills. The kills, though unoriginal technically, are very well executed on screen (pardon the pun). The script is really smart, to me it feels like the first two Scream movies, the dialogue just sounds very real. The actors just carry themselves very well on screen, they make their performances very believable.

Normally a movie about kids in college is pretty terrible due in part to the inability of the actors to perform, but this movie does not fit this stereotype. Leto's performance is the best in my opinion, and we also get a nice cameo from genre veteran (and one of my favorite genre actors) Robery Englund!

The movie is more tense then scary, but I seldom think of slasher movies as scary anymore so you might disagree. The first few scary scenes are very unnerving to watch and I loved them very much.

Urban Legend makes for some quality horror entertainment if you want something that is smarter than your typical slasher movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment